Users may be familiar with basic disk rather than dynamic disk. Both basic hard disk and dynamic disk are typical hard drive types. There are primary partition and extended partition on basic disk to store data for users. For dynamic disk, users should use simple volume, mirrored volume, spanned volume, striped volume and RAID-5 volume to save data. Because both basic disk and dynamic disk are two popular hard disks, users may always plan to change disk type.
Users can use Disk Management to convert basic disk to dynamic, but they can’t use it to convert a disk from dynamic to basic, because Windows doesn’t provide any service for users to achieve this. Therefore, users can use disk utility to convert a basic disk to dynamic. And they can convert dynamic disk to basic with the help of partition manager.
Before users convert a disk from dynamic to basic, they should pay attention to the following two important points:
Note 1, since MiniTool Partition Wizard Free doesn’t support dynamic disk, users need to use other editions of this tool to change disk type.
Note 2, this partition manager can convert dynamic disk to basic when there exist only simple volumes on the target disk. If the volumes aren’t simple volumes but mirrored volumes, users can use DM to break mirrored volumes first.
1. Users need to get MiniTool Partition Wizard first to convert a disk from dynamic to basic.
2. Users should launch this partition manager and choose a target dynamic disk that they want to convert.
3. Click “Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic” from the left action panel.
4. Click “Apply” to execute all the pending changes.
5. Wait for the completion of the pending operations.
6. Now, users can see clearly that the target disk has been successfully converted to basic disk.
If users want to convert a disk from dynamic to basic, they can choose to use MiniTool Partition Wizard to change disk type with ease.