Before we tell users ways to change disk volume letter, we want to ask them if they know the meaning of drive letter. Drive letter refers to identifier of hard disk in DOS or Windows system. In general, it is represented by 26 English letters with a colon, such as “C:”. However, English letter A and B with colon refer to floppy disk drive letter. We know that there exist basic disk and dynamic disk. Then, certainly, volume letter means the identifier of not only dynamic volume in dynamic disk but also partition drive letter in basic disk.
Users may need volume letter conversion in order to solve the problem of volume letter chaos. Volume letter chaos may happen after users change partition file system, upgrade computer, install several hard disks and so on. When this phenomenon appears, users need to change disk volume letter. With regard to this, we will show users two ways to change volume letter.
1. Users should run command prompt in the administrator mode. Then they can input “diskpart”, press “Enter”, input “diskpart help” and press “Enter” again to get the following window.
2. Input “list disk”, press “Enter”, enter “select disk 0” (it includes the volume whose drive letter needs changing) and then press “Enter”.
3. Then input “list volume”, press “Enter”, input “select volume 0” (the target volume) and also press “Enter”.
4. Input “assign letter =G” and then press “Enter”.
After users complete the above four steps, they can see that volume letter L: has been changed to G: successfully. Maybe it is difficult for some users to change disk volume letter with the help of diskpart, because they may not be so familiar with this small tool. Therefore, we’d like to suggest that they should use partition manager to change volume letter.
1. Users should choose a certain volume whose drive letter needs changing after MiniTool Partition Wizard was launched. Then, users could click “Change Volume Letter” from the left action panel.
2. Choose a new drive letter and click “OK”.
3. Click “Apply” to carry out pending changes.
The above content shows users two good ways to change disk volume letter. Users are welcomed to use MiniTool Partition Wizard to achieve volume letter conversion.