I would like to merge two NTFS partitions in my Windows Server 2003 computer without affecting data in partitions, and I tried using Disk Management tool to operate. However, it can not do the trick. How can I merge partition in Windows Server 2003?
During partition management course, users have come across those issues which are generally related to disk space usage:
1. Merge two standalone partitions into one for more flexible data storage and management.
2. Due to the limitation of partition numbers in hard disk, users are supposed to merge redundant partitions.
First, we would like to briefly introduce the two concepts MBR and DBR.
MBR, short for Master Boot Record is actually a special type of boot sector at the very beginning of partitioned computer mass storage devices. It holds the information on how the logical partitions including file systems are organized on the medium as well as the executable code to function as a loader for the installed operating system. DBR the acronym of DOS Boot Record is mainly responsible to figure out whether certain partition and the front two files of the directory are the bootable files of current operating system (DOS, I.Sys and Msdos. Sys).
As is known to all, when operating system access files of a partition, it will not directly access to every file, which is time-consuming. Instead, system will read the parameters recorded on MBR and DBR. Then users will know the exact location of those files. Partition merging will get rid of the end position of the first partition and the start position of the second. To maintain all files in the same position and contents unchanged, users need to update the record on MBR and DBR.
If users need to merge partitions in Windows Server 2003 without data loss, they had better use third-party server partition software. Here, we highly recommend users to adopt professional MiniTool Partition Wizard Server Edition.
1. Launch the software, and then users will see detailed distribution information about all disks and partitions.
2. In the main interface of the software, click any partition and then click “Merge Partition” in left action panel. To gain the same effect, users can also right click any partition and then click “Merge” button in pop-up menu.
3. Here, choose the partition which needs to be expanded(here, choose and click “Next>” button to get the following interface:
4. Choose the partition which will be included to target partition and click “Finish” button to go back to main interface of the software.
5. Click “Apply” button in the upper left corner to apply the partition merging effect to computer.
Via so simple operations, users are successful to merge Windows Server 2003 partitions. Thus, if similar or same situations occur to computer, hurry to try the powerful MiniTool Partition Wizard. It is believed that the software will never let users down.