I have a Virtual Machine running Windows Server 2003 with pre-allocated 20 GB disk and other hard disks, and all the application programs as well as operating systems are installed into the one. Recently, I newly find some interesting games, but the already-have files have almost eaten up all disk space. Considering the very facts that virtual machine performance gets lowered, but it is quite hard to reclaim disk space by deleting, I decide to extend boot partition Server 2003 VMware to optimize performance.
As is well known, Server 2003 VMware disk expansion is easy to be done, and the following are detailed operational steps:
1. After entering the VMware, users need to choose needed operating system (Here, directly choose Windows Server 2003). Then, click the disk where boot partition resides to get the following interface:
2. At this time, click Utilities tab and click Expand option to get the interface below:
3. After specifying the new disk size, users need to click Expand to execute disk extension operation.
4. When the operation is done, users will find that the chosen disk has been extended.
However, when we open the Disk Management, we will find that the newly added free space is in the unallocated. Thus, users need to add the unallocated space to boot partition so as to achieve the whole expansion process. Well then, how to enlarge the boot partition in Server 2003 VMware?
Solution 1. Use “Diskpart” command to extend boot partition
Firstly, start command prompt tool by clicking Start button > Run, and inputting “cmd” order. Then, use “diskpart” order to extend partition:
1. Enter “diskpart” order in command prompt tool.
2. Input “list volume” order to show all the partitions in computer disk.
3. Input “select volume X” (X represents partition number shown in step2) to select target partition to extend.
4. Input “extend” order to extend partition.
Picture above shows the result of extending system partition with “diskpart” order in Windows server 2003. From it, we can see this operation is not only too complex, and fails to extend system partition. For common users, it is of low recommendation. There is a better way – adopting professional server partition magic named MiniTool Partition Wizard.
Solution 2. Use MiniTool Partition Wizard
If users have downloaded the software, just install it on computer. Then, run it to open its main interface:
1. In the main interface of powerful server partition software, choose the boot partition, namely C: drive and then click “Extend Partition” in left action panel.
2. In this interface, drag the sliding handle rightwards or leftwards to take needed capacity of free space, and then click “OK” button to go back to main interface of MiniTool Partition Wizard.
3. In this interface, click “Apply” button in the upper left corner to make final confirmation, if the presented partition extension effect is satisfying.
As the demonstration shows, the whole process to extend boot partition Server 2003 VMware is greatly simplified by using the powerful partition management software. So, hurry to download MiniTool Partition Wizard.