Last night, I got the warning alert “You are running out of disk space on local disk (C :). To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here…” when I planned to store some useful application files to C drive in Windows Server based computer. The warning itself is not that disturbing, but then I frequently suffer system crash. Thus, I wonder an easy and secure way to increase size of system partition when C drive shows low disk space on Server 2003/2008.
There are multiple kinds of data that can gradually eat up free disk space of drive such as temporary setup files, downloaded program files, temporary Internet files, offline webpages, old Chkdsk files, Recycle Bin files, setup log files and other temporary files. Other factors like computer virus infection may lead to the same issue. Whatever provokes Low Disk Space warning, users are supposed to take timely and effective measures to reclaim disk space.
After low disk space happens to C drive, users ought to pay high attention. Here, we have listed out several commonly adopted remedial measures:
1. Use Cleanup tool to clean up disk space
The Disk Cleanup tool is equal to searching hard disk files that users can safely delete. Naturally, users can choose to delete some of or all those files. And users just need to carefully check all useless data and then execute cleanup operation. As a matter of fact, this method is of little help.
2. Adopt Windows Disk Management tool to reclaim disk space
As is well known, “Extend Volume” and “Shrink Volume” are introduced since Windows Server 2008, but those features are defective. The former works only when the unallocated space is right adjacent to target partition. Moreover, data security during partition management can not be ensured.
3. Use third-party server partition software to extend partition
Resorting to server partition management software to enlarge partition is regarded as the most effective way. Here comes another concern: where to download a piece of reliable and easy-to-use software. Actually, MiniTool Partition Wizard Server Edition is a great choice.
If users want to use the powerful server partition manager to increase size of C drive, they need to firstly perform software downloading and installation. After that, follow those steps to fulfill partition extension:
1. Launch MiniTool Partition Wizard Server Edition to open its main interface:
2. From main interface of the software, choose C drive which needs to be enlarged and click “Extend Partition” to get the following interface:
3. In this interface, choose a partition with much unused space left or an unallocated space from “Take Free Space from” tab. Then, drag the sliding handle to get needed capacity of free space. When settings are done, click “OK” button to go back to main interface of MiniTool Partition Wizard.
4. Here, users can view that the chosen partition has been extended, but it is only preview effect. Thus, users ought to click “Apply” button to let the software execute partition expansion operation for Windows Server.
Fore more information about how to fix low disk space issue on Windows Server computer, please visit the official website of MiniTool Partition Wizard.